25 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Were Alcohol Addicts

Stephen King

Alcoholism is a serious problem for many Americans today, and even celebrities are not exempt from such addictions. In fact, as we well know, some celebrities are more prone than average to alcohol addiction and drug abuse, because they can well afford to feed their addictions.

Here are twelve celebrities you may not have known were alcohol addicts.

1. Stephen King

World famous, horror writing phenomenon, and the visionary behind such scare-you-to-pieces flicks as “It”, Stephen King fought a battle with drugs and alcohol for years.

After a family intervention in 1987, King realized that he needed to make a change and has remained sober ever since.

Stephen King hasn’t exactly been shy about his alcoholism, however. A large number of his novels feature main characters who suffer from the same affliction that he did, including (most famously) Jack Halloran from both the novel and Jack Torrence from the film version of “The Shining.”

King has also spoken at length during his college tour career about his constant struggle to get his condition under control for good. Alcohol and drugs created an escape from the depression which has impacted since his impoverished childhood in Portland, Maine.

Order Stephen King’s Books – Click Here

His father abandoned the family when King was 2, and his mother was left to work a number of menial job to support her children. King had a constant fear of losing his mother, and admitted was even intoxicated when he gave the eulogy at his mother’s funeral.

He isn’t proud of it now, but he has since gained control of his abusive drinking habits.

1 of 27

268 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. 123Star August 4, 2014 at 5:54 am - Reply

Strange, not one person gives God the Glory for saving their lives. God saved me!!!

• JHL August 5, 2014 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Saved you, but extracted your will and intelligence in return. The good news is that you don’t and won’t ever realize it.
      God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life!

• JHL August 5, 2014 at 6:50 pm - Reply

God wasn’t done extracting his vengeance on you, but he wanted you to be sober to maximize the terror and pain.

2. Laynze July 27, 2014 at 8:03 pm - Reply

Nobody ever talks much about quality of life on this subject, drunk or sober. I have spent most of my life in various degree’s of alcohol use/abuse from age 13 to 57 (my current age) and in and out of AA meetings. I’ve always run into some kind of “God as I know him issue” and moved on, but there was always something positive in the process. I have many friends that have been sober for years, some decades and many of them constantly tell me how much better their lives are sober. As someone on the outside looking in, it almost looks like these people are being brainwashed into believing this. “What if this is as good as it gets?”, as Nicholson said in the movie, I’m not sure I would want to live a long sad, “good as it gets” life sober or a shorter one under the influence with lot’s of excitement and interesting experiences.

3. genmar July 17, 2014 at 6:29 pm - Reply

Some of these people i really LIKE and have cheered for to see the light, like Robert Downey, but all of the rest are loathsome liberals who like to tell all of us HOW TO LIVE OUR LIVES, to them I say DROP DEAD AND GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

4. Speaking from the Heart July 8, 2014 at 10:10 am - Reply

I was an alocoholic. Now I am addicted to sex with beautiful women. Go figure.

5. Missy Busty July 4, 2014 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Steven King’s book The Shining is about an alcoholic.

• Lil Nephew August 24, 2014 at 1:11 am - Reply

An alcoholic with writer’s block. It’s a self-portrait.

6. don2dive June 27, 2014 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Alcoholism is about the only disease I can think of that injures and kills people that aren’t infected with it.

7. yeahme June 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm - Reply

cancer is a disease…..shoving drugs and alcohol down your throat was at some point a choice and then becomes a behavior…..but it is not a disease….quit playing the victim…not an ounce of sympathy here…none.

8. Charles Smith June 11, 2014 at 7:07 pm - Reply

If you are an alcoholic or drug addict you are never not one, you are only clean and sober one day at a time.

9. TheBossyFiesta June 3, 2014 at 12:45 am - Reply

Anthony Hopkins is allowed to be a studdering drunk, it would be brilliant.

10. AMFAN2011 June 2, 2014 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Actress & entertainer Ann-Margret also speaks of being an alcoholic in her autobiography “My Story”, and states she has been sober for 20+ years now.

11. J F June 2, 2014 at 2:49 pm - Reply

Billie Holiday and Mickey Mantle were alcoholics … no; really????

12. fulredy June 1, 2014 at 12:59 am - Reply

Mickey would have been the greatest player ever if he healthy knees.

13. problem->solution May 31, 2014 at 1:20 pm - Reply

I do not believe alcoholism is necessarily alcohol addition. An alcoholic may develop an addiction to alcohol, but might be an alcoholic without having an “addiction.” Personally, I believe we do both alcoholics and addicts a disservice by failing to draw this distinction. Alcoholism is characterized by a lack of control over consumption and a mental obsession. Addiction may have only a mental obsession, but it may also feature physical withdrawal sequelae. Personally, I believe I was an alcoholic years before I became “addicted” (in any sense of the word) to alcohol. I am happy to be in recovery and sober for over 12 years.

I quit smoking about 3.5 years ago. I was addicted to cigarettes/nicotine. It was hard to quit and required multiple attempts and failures before I achieved success. I cannot suggest, however, that my nicotine addiction was the same problem as my alcoholism. I had a mental obsession for both. But smoking one cigarette could tide me over for an hour or more until I craved the next — one beer or shot only increased my immediate craving for more. And early in my drinking, I did not have physical withdrawal symptoms (other than those associated with a hangover, which passed in a matter of hours, or perhaps a day).

I doubt very seriously all of the people on this list were/are “alcohol addicts.” Some of them might be alcoholics, however.

On another point, I don’t think AA has a spokesperson. The Fellowship I love doesn’t need me to defend it. As a member, I don’t need any of you to defend it, either. Personally, I own being a (former) irresponsible, selfish and self-centered drunk who deeply hurt (and permanently scarred) many people, especially those closest to me. I can never repair that. I can never take it away. It is what it is. I am responsible for it. As a sober alcoholic now, however, I have the responsibility never to return. My recovery is my responsibility, too. I must honestly say I empathize with the folks on here who express disgust and disdain for us. Considering my own past behavior and transgressions, I can’t blame them. I hope they don’t carry that with them in any sort of debilitating or damaging way. But I don’t need to call them out and call them names when their pain and resentment comes from their genuine personal experience. You sober people on here who do that make the rest of us look bad, and I wish you’d stop it.

• ca1 July 8, 2014 at 4:44 am - Reply

wow, very honest and very well said!

14. Mariooch May 30, 2014 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Were alcoholics?

15. Holly May 30, 2014 at 11:08 am - Reply

Mel Gibson is from the USA not Australia. His father took the family from NY state, to Australia to keep his boys from being drafted into Vietnam.

16. Michael P May 28, 2014 at 4:57 am - Reply

hate to say it, but, the material seems slightly better under the bottle cap

17. realist May 27, 2014 at 4:39 pm - Reply

Achoholism is NOT a disease. You can not “catch” achoholism or “come down” with thru no fault of your own. The only way to develop this bad behavior and yes, that is what it is, a behavioral problem, is to pick up the bottle(choice) and drink it. Over and over and over, day after day after day. It’s called weakness and lack of discipline. Nothing more. Grow up crybabies, if you want to drink, go ahead, it’s your choice. But don’t try to convince us that you are somehow a victim to this diabolical fictional alchoholic gene that has somehow removed your choice and taken over your brain, and now you must fight it everyday! LMAO.

18. gthomson May 25, 2014 at 6:41 am - Reply

Whatever you call it – drunkard, alcoholic, addict, disease – I still have
    more respect for them than I have for politicians and religious extremists these
    days. Often they do worse than the above, and they do it when they’re sober some
    of the time. Well, maybe not that guy from Canada.

19. Linda Davis-berglund May 24, 2014 at 6:44 pm - Reply

If I had the foul ideas running through my brain that Stephen King does, I would be a fall down drunk. Never watch his stuff after seeing Pet Cemetary

20. Kent Brewster May 24, 2014 at 1:28 am - Reply

I met Mickey in Tulsa at the Tulsa Oiler’s Diamond Jubilee in the old Camelot Inn before it became a dump. Alcoholic or not he was a heck of a nice guy. I told very few people of meeting him because no one would have believed it anyway. OBTW I met Hank Aaron and Johnny Bench on the same evening.

21. e4Hats May 22, 2014 at 11:20 pm - Reply

What?! Robin Williams is an alcohol addict… so what? With his sense of humor, charm, and the way he is rocking that striped green and black fedora… oh man, everything just evens out. He is just one attractive man with a minor problem. Besides, he isn’t the only one with alcohol problems in this world.

22. Babalu1 May 22, 2014 at 6:58 pm - Reply

As a person who has known and loved several alcoholics during her lifetime, family members, love of my life, husband and friends, I joined Al-Anon and attended several AA open meetings to try to understand alcoholism and find some peace. I read a book that I found to be very enlightening and I would like to share that book with anyone who is affected by alcoholism. It’s entitled “Under the Influence”. Inexpensive in paperback form and very informative . . .

23. jrconner May 22, 2014 at 7:37 am - Reply

Mantle may have played with hangovers, but he didn’t play drunk.

24. John Brown May 21, 2014 at 4:00 pm - Reply

The Billie Holiday song is called “Strange Fruit,” not “Bitter Fruit.”

25. LupeTorez1899 May 21, 2014 at 11:07 am - Reply

Anthony Hopkins is British so no surprise there.

26. LupeTorez1899 May 21, 2014 at 11:06 am - Reply

Mickey Mantel was a baseball player so no surprise there.

27. LupeTorez1899 May 21, 2014 at 11:05 am - Reply

Mel Gibson is Scottish so no surprise there.

28. LupeTorez1899 May 21, 2014 at 11:04 am - Reply

Michael J. Fox is Canadian so no surprise there.

29. LupeTorez1899 May 21, 2014 at 11:02 am - Reply

No suprise Robin Williams is a crazy drama queen like all drunks.

30. Drifter12 May 20, 2014 at 7:51 pm - Reply

Mel Gibson “If some of his most famous roles, including “Braveheart,”
    “The Patriot,” and his directing of “The Passion of the Christ” don’t make sure
    that he lives in infamy” —Just plain dumb!

31. Sue L-J May 16, 2014 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Well looks like Ben Afleck may have given up alcohol only to substitute it with gambling.

32. madmadetalk May 15, 2014 at 5:36 pm - Reply

There were no surprises in this list. These people have voiced over and over again they were/ are alcoholics.

33. Julius Johnson May 5, 2014 at 3:15 am - Reply

Who the hell is Jack Halloran? I’m pretty sure You mean Dick Halloran.

34. Sean May 3, 2014 at 10:00 am - Reply

35. Charlene Lopez May 2, 2014 at 5:41 pm - Reply

Diana Ross has twin sons born in 1988 not just Evan…dont remember the other twins name tho

36. DJones1964 May 1, 2014 at 11:56 pm - Reply

Alcohol addict? Wow so now they are changing things up for what pity and sympathy? Alcohol addict?

People they are call ALCOHOLICS!

TAKE THAT LAME STUPID POLITICAL CORRECTNESS AND SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN NEVER SINES!

37. ca1 May 1, 2014 at 10:59 pm - Reply

make that “strange fruit”… not bitter fruit…..

38. Jim April 29, 2014 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Hilarious!Most of the idiots commenting about alcoholism don’t have clue one.For you misinformed morons,Alcoholism is a DISEASE and a proven fact.I am a recovering drunk(12 years)and I was a very good FUNCTIONING alcoholic.But it will catch up with you trust me.7 years for a police dept and 3 arrest later during that time I lost my job.Get your facts before you blog..Stay sober my friends….PS..my father was the meanest drunk ever who died with 30 years of sobriety and knew Mickey Mantle quite well and offered his help.My mother died of alcoholism at 52..never knew her at all.She died a lonely death..Genetic?..Proven fact.Everyone in my family is an alcoholic..Not a coincidence.

39. Angel787 April 24, 2014 at 6:43 pm - Reply

Okay, enough already with these “so-called” descriptions of an “alcoholic”… my god!!!! Give a guy a break already! Do you hear yourselves?? The only time I look down on someone whether they are an alcoholic, drug addict, homeless, etc. is when I am offering them a hand to pick them up and that is it!!! Everyone has “isms” and when we are young they usually start out with some sort of ism that sticks with us and we, in turn, abuse something in our life. Like, for instance, some drink because they cannot fill up that void they had since childhood and that is alike for many. Some lie, cheat and steal – same thing….it is something someone does repetitively and cannot break their chain…if you do not know enough about a subject you should be kind enough not to be ignorant and rant and rave because then you look “stupid.”

40. Froide April 21, 2014 at 6:30 pm - Reply

No names on the list I didn’t already know about. There are other prominent stars whose work I greatly admire, living and dead, who’ve publicly discussed their problems with alcoholism and who continued on to do great things: e.g., Edie Falco, James Gandolfini (RIP), and John Goodman.

41. Blinkie McJitters April 17, 2014 at 3:21 pm - Reply

In this day and age when fact checking merely requires a push of a button, it is offensive to me on many levels that they state Billie Holiday’s most famous song was “Bitter Fruit”. Not only is it wrong, it also changes the meaning of the message. The song is titled “Strange Fruit”.

42. exrea April 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm - Reply

None of these surprised me…I think the list falls far short of the actual number from hollywood suffering from this addiction.

43. Tresix April 16, 2014 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Before his death, Mantle came clean about his drinking. He had even had a liver transplant around that time. I’d say I knew about half of these people had drinking problems. Jamie Lee Curtis may be the biggest surprise to me, though.

44. Guest April 16, 2014 at 9:56 am - Reply

The Billie Holiday story “She was ordered to quit drinking”, not “quite drinking”. Sorry just had to point that one out.

45. SueG316 April 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm - Reply

I also believe that alcoholism is not a disease. It’s a choice. I also believe that some folks have “addictive” personalities, but that is all the more reason to make better choices and not get addicted in the first place. My mother was one of six children. Of the six only two didn’t become alcoholics (mom was one of the two, thank God!). My dad came from a family of alcoholics as well, and unfortunately, he was one of them. And a mean drunk at that. So, knowing that this ugliness was most likely in my genes, I have made a conscious choice my whole adult life to only have an occasional drink when I “wanted” one, and to never drink when I felt I “needed” one. And any time I do drink it is always in moderation. I have never felt that pull towards becoming addicted, but being aware of the family history, I took steps nevertheless the avoid any potential problem.
    Let’s just stop the coddling and call addiction what it is – a choice by folks who are predisposed but made poor choices that allowed the addiction to take hold in the first place.

46. SueG316 April 14, 2014 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Umm . . . I don’t know why Mel Gibson is in a group that has the heading “12 celebrities you didn’t know were alcohol addicts”. Unless you have lived under a rock for the last decade, you knew.

47. pusherhombre April 13, 2014 at 1:44 am - Reply

Who was actually surprised by anybody on this list?

48. Dick Delson April 3, 2014 at 1:15 pm - Reply

Mickey was a friend. I tried everything I knew to get him to stop, but…

49. rrebold March 23, 2014 at 4:39 am - Reply

No disrespect but Billie Holiday was a heroine addict. One of the greatest voices of all time but she struggled. She felt things deeply, it’s reported that every time she sang “Strange Fruit,” she became physically ill. But she still sang it, that’s heroic.

50. pat conroy2 March 20, 2014 at 7:47 pm - Reply

They just aren’t all sober. Don’t talk to Tony H. in a meeting about his movies though,

Leave A Response